What you need, what you have to bring, how to get to us.
Find below all relevant information for participants for the Freshpak Salt Pans Ultra Marathon 2019
Directions to Khukonje from Gaborone – 6 1/2 hours
Drive from Gaborone past Khama Rhino Sanctuary to the village of Mmashoro. Turn right into Mmashoro, you will see three radio towers on your right. When you are in line with the second turn left off the tar. You will pass behind the kgotla (Botswana flag flying) take the bend to the right. Drive 65kms on the cut line to the vet fence. Once through the vet fence drive 10kms to Mokobilo.
When you get to the tar road cross it between the petrol station and the bar. This road takes you the village of Mmea. In Mmea you will see a blue Bots 50 monument on your left after which the road bends to the left. Follow this road.
At coordinates UTM coordinates 35K 0428113 7666216 turn right and then right along the vet fence by the huts at coordinates 35K 0427798 7666425. Drive to signed turn at derelict huts and turn left to Pans and drive straight across pans to Khukonje Island.
Stop at reception huts on the Eastern side of the Island and check and get directions to Camp Site at 35K 0416773 7687064.
Check the HERE Maps with driving directions: https://bit.ly/2lQsmBr
Route map for Gaborone To Kukonje Island by
We will provide the following:
- supper from Saturday 28 Sep and 3 meals a day until you leave after breakfast on 1 Oct
a tent and mattress if you booked these
a cash bar (bring Pula)
5L of hot water for a bucket bath
we will provide a charging station
- your pillow
- your sleeping bag
- toiletries including your own shower gel and shampoo
- a fleece for the evenings which may still be cool
- your tent and mattress if you didn’t book these
- we recommended closed shoes for the evenings (scorpions)
- A back pack that can carry at least two litres of water. Water stops are 13kms apart.
- Sunglasses (running on the pans is like running on snow)
- Sun bloc
- A GPS watch to upload the provided gpx route data. Batteries must last as long as you will be running each day. You can download them here
- Head torch with spare batteries
- Phone with GPS functionality
- Buff (important, in case its windy and by extension sandy)
- Running nutrition